Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 30, 2011

"I am really lucky," she said, "but I don't know why," and shrugged.

At my recent doctor appointment, I walked into (initially I thought so) the wrong office. I spoke quickly, "My name is Sheila Cull, I've gotta be at work soon but it's such a short walking distance and I had this whistle and I kept trying to breathe,"

"How do you breathe?" The doctor tilted her head, appearing truly curious.

"Like this," I said. I inhaled through my nostrils, my head ready to explode with oxygen, and then I completely exhaled through my mouth.

She said, "Do that. Then hold it. For a moment. Before you exhale. Good. How do you feel?"

This time I tilted my head, "fantastic."

We established that she was not the doctor I had the appointment with. We laughed and I asked her for her card. Handing it to me she said, "Please call me."

At last night's moon, is when I gave it another thought. On my back, I took a deliberate breath and paused. I held it. For a moment. I jumped out of bed, got her card out and called the number on it, having every intention of making an appointment for Monday. But she answered. On a Saturday night. I'm seeing her next week, moreover, I'm going to really learn, from a professional, how to breathe. Recently and fortunately, our breath, your breath, my breath, relative, say, to the moment, joy and ease, has had my mind wandering. This doctor has a number of letters and periods below her name but she's so into "the breath" that she specializes in Psychotherapy.

See? It was at first, a mistake. But look how that turned upside down, and for my benefit.

So, is a tendency towards good luck due in part to optimism?

No comments: