Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Beethoven, Not for Me Said the Bee - America!

The reason I have the freedom to, well, kvetch about one (of many) of classical's greatest is that I'm a free American, a civil culture, a true democracy.

Beethoven's pieces I find too aggressive, seriously. For example, in comparison, say, to a greatest that I find delightful mixed with a gentleness, Mozart. What I hear presently, another
example, is gentle with some delight thrown in, which is, to me, different from Mozart but similarly joyful. This composer is the relatively recent, yet still late, Rachmaninoff and Rachmaninoff, to me, has scores that are dramatic yet delightful. But original Beethoven (not somebody playing Beethoven) is one greatest I find too darn aggressive, including Moonlight Sonata, which I think pretends to be gentle at times.

Pre month long comatose as a ballerina I grew up with classical and post, meaning re learning to read and write again, I listen to it at least eight hours daily, the only music I can read/work to. Yes, for ten minutes on alternate days I enthusiastically enjoy pop/rap/rock/etc.

The point is? Relative to nothing, I'd say Beethoven is great. In America we have the freedom to choose, which we all do, all the time.

What do you choose? In regards to, anything?!

No comments: