Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

BIC - pasted from Bransford blog.

The Greatest Strength of a Writer: Willpower

The great Jane Yolen has a name for this: BIC. Butt. In. Chair. That is the writing process. Butt in chair.

You could also call it:

OMGTWISNTBICGOBINTW: "Oh my god the weather is so nice today but I can't go outside because I need to write."

IRWICGTTBGBIHTW: "I really wish I could go to that baseball game but I have to write."

DMMIJGTSATBCSUITOS: "Don't mind me, I'm just going to stare at this blank computer screen until I think of something."

Just about everyone on the planet thinks about writing a novel at some point. Many of them really could and many of them could do it really well.

But there's only one way to actually do it: BIC. Powering through when you want to stop, blocking out days on the calendar when there are more fun things you could be doing, staring at the pad or screen early mornings and late nights, and most of all, setting aside your doubts along the way.

And that's of course even before you summon your willpower to try and jump through the hoops necessary to get the thing published.

If writing is always fun you may be doing it wrong.

No comments: